Mar 13, 1941
USS Ericsson (DD 440) was commissioned. She was the third US Navy warship named for Swedish inventor John Ericsson. For the majority of World War II, Ericsson operated in the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean. Following Germany’s surrender, she relocated to the Pacific and was decommissioned after WWII. After time spent in the Reserve Fleet, Ericsson was struck from the Navy list and sunk as a target in 1970.
Theater: North America
Source: Naval History & Heritage Command